According to Indian mythology it is believed that Vaman dev was the fifth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Vamana Jayanti is considered as the birth anniversary of Vaman Dev, and the day is observed on the twelfth day of the Shukla Paksha of Bhadra/Bhadrapada month (August-September). This year, Vamana Jayanti will take place on 24th September, 2015.
According to deep-rooted Indian myths, Vamana Dev appeared as a dwarf on earth during Treta Yuga to give moksha to Asura King Bali, the grandson of Prahlada. He also helped Devas (Demi gods) who had lost their strength to Asura King Bali.
On this auspicious day, devotees worship Lord Vishnu with complete devotion. It is accepted that, the one who performs this puja with a pure heart; he/she gets freedom from all the sinful reactions, aberrant sufferings, and triumph over salvation. Thus, if one truthfully wishes sovereignty from the harsh world, one should observe Ekadashi fast on Vamana Jayanti.
Lord Vishnu temples organize special puja on this fortunate day. Devotees, specially Vaishnabas celebrate the festival by observing a fast, and night watch invoking Vaman avatar and offering 52 sweets, offerings and alms.
Rituals followed on Vamana Jayanti
• Devotee should organize a puja and get the required puja kits before the Ekadashi day.
• One should observe ‘nirjala’ fast throughout the day.
• The idol of Lord Vishnu should be washed grandly with holy water and panchamrita.
• Initiate the puja by chanting Beej mantra followed by presenting a seat (Asana) to the Lord Vishnu.
• One can offer rice and curd to satisfy Lord Vishnu, as it is considered auspicious.
• While performing the puja, devotee should chant ‘Vishnu Sahasranama’ and ‘Narayana Mantra’ for 108 times.
• While offering flowers, diyas, incense and naivedyam, one must chant 108 recitation of Lord Vishnu’s name with great devotion.
• In the evening, devotees listen to the mythological story ‘Vamana Katha’ along with family members. After that prasad is distributed among the devotees.
• For positivity and good luck one can donate foodstuff to Brahmins.