Buddhism is a religion of principle and culture and that is why Buddha Purnima holds a lot of importance in the hearts of people around the country.
India is a land of many cultures and different religions. Amongst the many important religions, Buddhism is one of them. The followers of Buddhism walk in the path of one of the greatest saints ever existed on earth- Lord Buddha. Buddha Purnima is a festival which commemorates his birth anniversary. People not only across the country but across the world celebrate his birth anniversary. This year the festival falls on 7th May, Thursday. The exact birth-date is there in the lunisolar calendar of Asian people but in India celebrates usually in April-May. Sometimes, in leap years it may even fall in the month of June. People celebrate it with puja kits online. According to the Hindu calendar, it falls on the full moon day or Purnima of Vaisakha month. This is due to the fact that Buddha was born on the full moon day. People also call it Vesak Day.
The Importance of Buddha Purnima:-
- It is the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha. His actual name was Siddhartha Gautama.
- He also left his huge mansion and all the worldly pleasure and riches in order to discover himself.
- He earned enlightenment on this day. Thus, he became the only one to be fully awake.
- People also believe the nine out of the total ten maha yoga favourable conditions are behind the creation of this auspicious day. Hence, it is astrologically very important as well.
The Vidhis of Buddha Purnima:-
- This is the most important festival of Buddhism followers. They wear new, clean dresses and celebrate it with pooja items.
- Also, they don’t eat non-veg and fasts until the celebration ends.
- The celebrations begin by visiting the Viharas and practise the ritual of Buddhist Sutra.
- The main prashadam of the festival is Kheer. They distribute this kheer to people as Lord Buddha has a bowl of milk porridge from a woman.
- According to Hindu traditions, Vaisakh Purnima is a very significant festival for raising donations. Make sure you have the right puja samagri online.
- Devotees also take a dip in the holy river of Kshipra.
- Also, according to Pandit Vyas, the celebration should span from Mohini Ekadashi to Buddha Purnima.
- There is a legend that goes behind this significance as Lord Vishnu incarnated as Mohini and fed nectar to demigods.
- Devotees decorate and embellish the Bodhi tree in a beautiful manner. You should also water this tree daily.
- People also send messages of independence and freedom by setting birds free from the cage..
- Devotees also follow the Panchsheel or five principles on this day. Their faith in these principles is staggering and these five principles are- not committing suicide, not lying, no consumption of alcohol and infidelity.
This is everything you need to know about the auspicious occasion of Buddha Purnima. You can get the important puja thali items from puja stores online- Pujashoppe.