Lord Ganesh is the symbol of intelligence, opulence and good luck. Ganesh Chaturthi is fêted on Shukla Chaturthi of the Hindu month of Bhadra. Also known as ‘Vinayak Chaturthi’ or ‘Vinayaka Chavithi, Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated across the country and even in some foreign countries like Mauritius, where it is an official holiday, Thailand, Nepal, China, US, and UK. It is celebrated with great devotion and devotees bring Ganesh Ji home and worship him for 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 11 days, according to their family traditions. Modaks are favourite of Ganpati and are kept on a plate with 21 pieces of the sweet.
There are four important traditions of this festival, including-
- Pranapratishhtha- It is the process of infusing the deity into a murti or idol.
- Shhodashopachara- A tribute is paid to Ganesha in 16 forms.
- Uttarpuja- After the infusion, it is a puja followed by shifting of idol.
- Ganpati Visarjan- Immersion of the idol in the river.
Things you would need to perform puja at home
Lord Ganesha photo or idol, incense, red chandan, coconut, modak, druva grass blades and red flowers.
Procedure of puja
- First and foremost thing to do is to clean the house and take a bath
- Place the photo of Lord Ganesha on the clean cloth
- Offer your prayings to him and recite mantras
- Perform the aarti and light the lamp
- You can even perform the Shhodashopachara, where a tribute is paid to Ganesha in 16 forms
- Offer 21 blades of Druva Grass and red flowers to Ganesha
- Apply a tilak using red sandalwood paste
- Break the coconut into two pieces and place it end-to-end with the idol
- Ganesha is worshiped for 10 days, depending on the tradition of a family
- On the 11th day, Ganesha is taken through the street to be immersed in the river or the sea
- Carry the idol dancing, singing and shouting “Ganapathi Bappa Morya, Purchya Varshi Laukariya”
Recite these following mantras while offering prayers to Ganpati
Invocation of Lord Ganesha
“Vakratunda Mahaakaaya Suryakoti Samaprabhaa Nirvighnam Kurumedeva Sarvakaaryeshu Sarvadaa”
Ganesh Bija Mantra
“Aum Gam Ganapataye Namah”
Ganesh Chaturthi Aarti
“Shendur lal chadhayo achchha gajmukhko, dondil lal biraje sut gauriharko Hath liye gudladdu sai survarko, mahima kahe na jay lagat hoo padko.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata Ashto siddhi dasi sankatko bairi, vignavinashan mangal murat adhikari Koti surajprakash aisi chhabi teri, gandasthala madmastak jhoole shashihari.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata Bhavbhagat se koi sharanagat ave, santat santat sabhi bharpur pave Aise tum maharaj moko ati bhave, gosavinandan nishidin gun gave.Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata, dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata.”
Auspicious time To bring Ganpati Ji home
Morning- 09:33 to 11:05, 4th September 2016
Evening- 18:47 to 21:42, 4th September 2016
Morning- 06:28 to 08:00, 5th September 2016
May the blessings of Sri Ganesha be upon you all!
If you want to know more about Ganesha puja in details or facing some issues while performing puja, then you can get in touch with our astrologers/Pandits by calling at 9555966666.