Saraswati puja is that time of the year when you pack up your books and pray to the goddess for her blessings. But to organise a Saraswati puja is no easy job. You need to know all the steps involved and you need to arrange for all the ingredients.
Saraswati puja is a time of celebration and fervour for the Bengalis all over the world. Bengalis consider this puja to a celebration of their intellectual history. They believe that the celebration of Ma Saraswati is their divine right as the intellectual capital of India. Saraswati puja is celebrated all across educational institutes of the state and as well as in the localities and the homes of the Bengalis. The goddess Saraswati statue is decorated with ‘chandmala’ and vermillion and is placed on an elevated platform. She is strewn with seasonal flowers and fruits and a pundit curates a puja for her.
Ingredients for a the Puja
Many ingredients are needed to curate a proper Saraswati puja. Since the arranging for these ingredients is a cumbersome job, online retailers are selling Saraswati puja Kit on a brass thali for you. These kits would generally include the following things.
- Saraswati Idol – Getting hold of a Saraswati idol is very cumbersome and you can get it online.
- Shodashmatrika – This is an important part of the Saraswati puja and without it the puja will not happen.
- Naw Graha Asana – This is the asana on which the goddess will be placed
- Aggarbatti and Dhoop – Every Puja requires dhoop and aggarbatti and similarly in this case you need them to make the atmosphere pious.
- White Cloth – A white cloth is always needed in any hindu puja
- Roli, Mouli, Abir, Haldi, Cloves, Om Sticker, Sindoor, Cardamom, beetle nut, Kush, Honey, Ghee, Karpooram, Mishri, Oats – all these items are very vital and a core part of the Saraswati puja
- Pancha Ratna – It is dust of precious stones that are required for a puja. It is offered to the goddess as an offering.
- Pancha Mewa – As Saraswati puja is a very strictly vegetarian affair, dry fruits play a very important role in the offering offered to the goddess. Though this is not strictly necessary, but the addition will always help.
- Achaman Patra – This is a very vital ingredient in every puja and this is the thali where the primary offering isd made to the goddess.
- Sapt Mrittika – Seven pots or mrittikas are required in a puja.
- Clay Diya – Clay diyas are lit on the sides of the goddess so as to ward off the evil spirits. These play a very vital part in the puja and is very essential.
- Puja Thali – A puja thali is needed to place all the offerings in it and offer it to the goddess. This is perhaps the most important part of the puja accessories.
With all these ingredients in hand, you are completely ready to curate your own Saraswati puja. All you need now is the will and the energy to get up and call on your friends and family and have a pious puja that will bring prosperity to all your intellectual endeavours.